10 No Cost Winter Activities to Enjoy with Your Partner
Sometimes it’s tough to come up with new and creative ideas to get you through the winter. Your best bet is to get together with your partner and make lists of things that you both enjoy. Then compare lists and see where you two meet up.
If you’d like to keep expenses to a minimum, the good news is that there are plenty of ways to have an excellent time without spending a dime.
Consider the following ideas as you build your list:
- Cuddle. Sometimes when you’re both busy, you may forget how good it feels to cuddle up to each other and relax. It’s a great activity to enjoy when things have been stressful and you just need a calm break.
- Go to a shopping centre. You don’t have to spend money when you go to the mall, although it may be tempting. Walking around a shopping centre can be a great way to get out of the house without having to worry about the cold weather.
- Listen to music. If you and your partner happen to share some musical tastes, you can always enjoy listening to music together. Chances are you can even find some live music at public winter festivals with no entry fee.
- Play video games. Video games are a popular choice for people of all tastes and ages. The variety is astounding! You can play a slow paced puzzle game against each other or get involved in more active games. Some of them can really draw you into the action. Plus, there are several free video game sites online.
- Go to a friend’s house. Gathering with friends is always a good indoor activity you can enjoy together. Invite your friends over to your house for a mini winter party. Have a potluck dinner for a change of pace. This way, you share the cost of entertaining and everyone has fun.
- Watch a movie. Agree on a genre and then find a good movie to watch together. You may be able to find one on TV or you can rent one for a day for a dollar or two. Afterwards, compare your opinions on the movie or watch the DVD bonuses.
- Go out in the snow. Take some time to play in the snow. After all, it’s not something that you can do anytime. Put on your winter gear and go for a walk. You can even bring out your inner child and make snow angels, build a funny snowman, or have a snowball fight.
- Make a meal together. You can still have a romantic dinner even if you aren’t going out. Choose a nice meal that you can cook together. You’re probably used to either you or your partner cooking. It’ll be a nice change to have the two of you in the kitchen together.
- Share memories. Spend some time reflecting on your past. It’s always fun to recall the beginnings of your relationship. It doesn’t matter if it was months or decades ago. It’s a great way to pass the time with your partner.
- Play an indoor sport. Find a sport to play with your partner. Your local community centre may provide access to courts as long as you’re a member of the community. Enjoying a sport together can bring you closer together in other areas as well.
Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean that you need to sit around and be bored. Try some of these activities together and take advantage of the winter to create some new memories!
The annual summer holiday is a treasured family tradition that ensures family fun and relaxation. These days, the cost of a family get-away can seem astronomical due to the expense of holiday entertainment and accommodations.
However, you can avoid the cost and fuss of travel and lodging by making the most of the home you have created for your family. By prepping your home, you can create a fun, holiday-like atmosphere that’s relaxing for you and your family.
Staycations also allow you to holiday with your pets in a place that’s familiar and comforting for them, reducing stress on your furry friends and the entire family.
Try these steps when planning for your next staycation:
1. Clean and organize your living space. A great deal of the enjoyment from staying in a hotel or resort is the clean, comfortable atmosphere surrounding you.
- Clean your house for tidiness and sanitation. Knowing you’re in an extremely clean environment will free your mind of worries that plague you during normal days at home.
- Completely catch up on your laundry. After all, even on a holiday outside of your home you would need clean laundry for the week. The goal of having clean laundry is to match the atmosphere and comfort level that you would experience at a place away from home.
- If you would prefer not cleaning your home yourself, search the numerous websites that give coupons or discounts on cleaning services. Websites such as Groupon and LivingSocial offer such coupons for many cities.
2. Plan activities to do in your home or surrounding area. A staycation should still be active. Staying at home the entire week of holiday is impractical and can cause friction after a few days. Survey and utilize your surroundings to plan fun activities for the entire family.
- Do some research in the weeks beforehand and have a game plan in place.
- Look into low-cost or free local attractions to visit during the day. Depending on the interests of your family, these may include a museum, butterfly garden, aquarium, or a picnic at the local park. Many local education-related venues allow kids in for free.
- Not every activity has to be outside of the home. Plan activities that your children enjoy doing, such as arts and crafts. If your children are older, play sports or set up a slip and slide in the backyard.
3. Turn off the electronics. In order to create a relaxing atmosphere it’s important to disconnect from everyday life.
- Turn off your cell phone and shut down your computer. Make arrangements with work beforehand and communicate that you’ll be out of touch for the entire duration of your holiday.
- On your work email account, you can set an automatic response that will reply to senders to let them know that you’re out of the office. This way, you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that your responsibilities at work will be handled.
Having a staycation is a positive, cost-effective way to take a break from your everyday life. Taking a short break from life’s responsibilities will allow you to become inspired to do better in other aspects of your everyday life.
Your mind, body, and soul deserve a break, even if an extravagant holiday is not financially viable at the moment. With a little creativity and some extra effort in planning, you and your family can experience a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday – right in your own home.
What are your top tips for free family entertainment during the summer holidays? Comment with them below and share the love!
Would you like more parenting tips sent to your email inbox to help you love parenting? Fill in the form below and click the button, and our magical unicorns will deliver them to you!