The annual summer holiday is a treasured family tradition that ensures family fun and relaxation. These days, the cost of a family get-away can seem astronomical due to the expense of holiday entertainment and accommodations.
However, you can avoid the cost and fuss of travel and lodging by making the most of the home you have created for your family. By prepping your home, you can create a fun, holiday-like atmosphere that’s relaxing for you and your family.Can't afford a summer holiday? Avoid the cost and fuss of travel and hotels by making the most of your home! Click To Tweet
Staycations also allow you to holiday with your pets in a place that’s familiar and comforting for them, reducing stress on your furry friends and the entire family.
Try these steps when planning for your next staycation:
1. Clean and organize your living space. A great deal of the enjoyment from staying in a hotel or resort is the clean, comfortable atmosphere surrounding you.
- Clean your house for tidiness and sanitation. Knowing you’re in an extremely clean environment will free your mind of worries that plague you during normal days at home.
- Completely catch up on your laundry. After all, even on a holiday outside of your home you would need clean laundry for the week. The goal of having clean laundry is to match the atmosphere and comfort level that you would experience at a place away from home.
- If you would prefer not cleaning your home yourself, search the numerous websites that give coupons or discounts on cleaning services. Websites such as Groupon and LivingSocial offer such coupons for many cities.
2. Plan activities to do in your home or surrounding area. A staycation should still be active. Staying at home the entire week of holiday is impractical and can cause friction after a few days. Survey and utilize your surroundings to plan fun activities for the entire family.
- Do some research in the weeks beforehand and have a game plan in place.
- Look into low-cost or free local attractions to visit during the day. Depending on the interests of your family, these may include a museum, butterfly garden, aquarium, or a picnic at the local park. Many local education-related venues allow kids in for free.
- Not every activity has to be outside of the home. Plan activities that your children enjoy doing, such as arts and crafts. If your children are older, play sports or set up a slip and slide in the backyard.
3. Turn off the electronics. In order to create a relaxing atmosphere it’s important to disconnect from everyday life.
- Turn off your cell phone and shut down your computer. Make arrangements with work beforehand and communicate that you’ll be out of touch for the entire duration of your holiday.
- On your work email account, you can set an automatic response that will reply to senders to let them know that you’re out of the office. This way, you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that your responsibilities at work will be handled.
Having a staycation is a positive, cost-effective way to take a break from your everyday life. Taking a short break from life’s responsibilities will allow you to become inspired to do better in other aspects of your everyday life.
Your mind, body, and soul deserve a break, even if an extravagant holiday is not financially viable at the moment. With a little creativity and some extra effort in planning, you and your family can experience a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday – right in your own home.
What are your top tips for free family entertainment during the summer holidays? Comment with them below and share the love!
Would you like more parenting tips sent to your email inbox to help you love parenting? Fill in the form below and click the button, and our magical unicorns will deliver them to you!